Arrived in Florida


One of my favorite sights since arriving here! The Roseate Spoonbill. I can't wait to see more birds!

My First Week in Florida

This is my first attempt at a blog - was hoping this would make it easy to stay in touch with friends and family whether or not they are on Facebook!


Chris and I had an easy ride down here! We decided to rent a car as well as drive mine down here because I had more stuff I figured I should take instead of leaving at my ma's and I wasn't going to have time to get to my storage unit. Chris had heard at work that rental cars were
 available for one-way trips for $5/day so that being a steal, we took advantage. Loaded both cars and headed down (a day late!).

We were supposed to leave last Saturday, but I just wasn't ready so we nixed the plan to stay overnight half-way and we left around 11:30am on Sunday and arrived in my friend's mom's driveway around 2am. In bed around 3am and up again around 9am and out for the day.


The first day we went to the historic St. George street and had pizza at a place rated 2nd best in America by TripAdvisor and it was good. I do like pizza! The street was neat and was just a narrow pedestrian only area. Nearby was the big, famous, old fort and we went there and while it was cool on its own, it was also very awesome that some dolphins wanted to put on a show and I captured some blurry pics, but they were just too far away.The next day, we went to a couple of the beaches and that was nice too. Cannot believe how close I am to the ocean. Walked on a pier and heard a guy in the water (which had big waves) yelling and we thought something was seriously wrong (shark??) but no, he just was looking for the surfboard he thought he had lost but was actually waiting for him on the shore.

Then, on the way back home, we stopped so I could photograph some fun birds. I LOVE the Roseate Spoonbill. 


Chris left Tuesday afternoon and I have been joining my friend's mom on some of her outings with her friends and will go again with her to see some others tomorrow afternoon. In between sleeping and socializing I am trying to unpack (not gotten very far) and send out some resumes. No responses, but I am hoping it is just early - only been a week.Today, for the first time since my arrival, I ventured out on my own - first to get gas, then just drive. I only made two turns and went about 12 miles or so before turning around as I wanted to be home before my friend got back as we had plans for the grocery store. Might not seem exciting, but I did enjoy finding vegetarian, and actually some Kosher, food just minutes away.




Stay tuned for more pictures and hopefully fun stories of my time in Florida.

 








Comments