This software is TERRIBLE - I cannot move pictures into any semblance of order so bear with me. The turtle statue and the railing cut-out was at the bird landing area. 

GETTING LOST can be fun!

Earlier this week I attempted to attend a lecture I thought was being held at the GTM Research Reserve (http://gtmnerr.org/) only to discover I went to the wrong location. While I discovered the lecture on their website, it was actually being held in another location too far for me to get to on time from the Reserve. It was a little disappointing initially, but I recovered from that disappointment very quickly and watched an interesting video on the Reserve and local ecosystem, talked to staff about looking for work and/or volunteer opportunities and walked around the displays inside and the surrounding area. This page, by the time I finish, will have pictures of my time there and of the beach areas where I stopped on my way back. First, outside the education center where the above turtle/fish pictures were taken was an area where people could fish and get their boats into the water. Saw a few birds, the Governor Grant's Plantation. Was interesting to see the signs about manatees (yeah) and alligators (yikes!) and of course, a few beachy things.  
I am struggling with this website to get the text and photos to work together so please be patient as I try to make future pages look a little nicer!The pictures are actually jumping around as if they are actually live action instead of still and driving me crazy! This is putting everything out of order!

After I left the GTM Reserve I drove further north before heading south towards home. I think all the area I was in that day was part of Ponte Vedra. Nice area. I saw a sign for a "Bird Landing" or something like that. The signs disappeared and I had a lot of extra driving around for nothing, but that was okay! I eventually found the area I was seeking behind a library. Saw a few birds (probably Anhinga) and a turtle. Nothing more exciting. Then I headed home. Of course, had to stop on the way home at a beach (was hard to find a place to park where I didn't have to pay to park - I wouldn't mind, but it will add up while looking for a job!).

Then I saw a really cool castle. Looked like a super old building, but it really isn't. Here is a link to the story about the castle. http://www.castleotttis.com/ - take a look!

From here forward should be all pictures from Bird Island Park. There was a turtle sculpture, several benches carved into animals, an area that looked like a maze made out of hedges and I think it was supposed to be in the shape of a turtle. It was alongside the pier that went around a big pond (or little lake). There were some cool birds - maybe Anhinga or Cormorants, but my eyes and camera lens were too far away to be sure (or photograph them all). I THINK I may have seen a kingfisher, but that was definitely too far away and too tiny to be sure.

There was a neat little amphitheater area (I think I've uploaded a photo).

Of course, a lot of plants and some cool flowers. And of course, geckos!

















Comments

  1. do you have Gecko Insurance? seems like you need some so your lens doesn't so get clogged with them you can't take architecture, bird & waterlife pictures...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment